How to install a web server on Debian 11 with VirtualBox
This page explains how to install a web server on Debian 11 in a virtual machine.
The following has been tested with following versions:
- VirtualBox Version 6.1.38_Ubuntu r153438
- Debian 11.5.0
- Apache/2.4.54 (Debian)
- PHP 7.4.33
- MariaDB 10.5.15
- phpMyAdmin 5.0.4
- vsftp 3.0.3
The web server is based on Debian without GUI.
Each of the below steps install a functionality of the server
- First the OS is installed on a virtual machine.
- Apache is the most widely used webserver software (runs on 67% of all websites in the world). It serves web page through http protocole.
- PHP is scripting language that is especially suited for web development. PHP/FI is used to build dynamic web applications.
- MariaDB is one of the most popular open source relational databases
- phpMyAdmin is a user-friendly software to handle administration of database. It is more convenient to manipulate databases than the command line.
The tutorial is composed of several steps explained and detailed below.
Apache is working properly, let's now install PHP.
Last update : 12/11/2022